Latter Prophets & Writings The Old Testament books of Job-Malachi are analyzed. The theological themes of these books are identified and traced throughout the Bible.
Upon completion of this course you will be able to:
- Identify various genres of literature in Genesis through Kings and learn to interpret them well.
- Articulate the significance of Genesis 1-11 as the primeval historical and theological foundation for understanding our human experience in the world.
- Understand how the Pentateuch (Genesis-Deuteronomy) lays the historical and especially the theological foundation for the Former Prophets (Joshua-Kings) and for the rest of the Bible.
- Understand how the Pentateuch and the Former Prophets fit together within the canon, and how they contribute to our understanding of faith experience in ancient Israel.
- Value the ways Ancient Near Eastern literature can inform our reading of Scripture.
- Become familiar with the history recorded in Genesis through Kings how it relates to the history of the surrounding Ancient Near Eastern world.
- Trace the overall historical progression of God’s covenantal redemptive program from Genesis through Revelation.
- Value all of the above as crucial to an ongoing study of the whole canon of Scripture as well as foundational to the way we live our Christian lives and pursue our ministries.
- Technical Requirements: Download and install a browser other than Microsoft Internet Explorer. We suggest Firefox or Google Chrome.
The E-learning system performs better with Firefox or Google Chrome browsers.
- Academic Requirements:
- Lessons (25%) – Complete the lessons, including the short quiz at the end of each lesson, there are any.
- Final exam (25%)
- Bible Reading Reports (30%). Read Genesis-Kings as assigned. You should use a modern translation (not a paraphrase), e.g., RSV, NASB, NKJV, NIV, NRSV, etc
- Textbook chapter summary ( 20%). Write a 5 -7 pages summary of a chapter from Waltke’s book. Choose from chapters 27 through 35
- Grading Scale
- A = 94-100 Excellent
- B = 84-93 Above Average
- C = 74-83 Average
- D = 64-73 Below Average
- F = 63 & Below Failure
Waltke, Bruce K. An Old Testament Theology: An Exegetical, Canonical, and Thematic Approach. Grand Rapids, MI: Zondervan, 2007. ISBN: 978-0310218975.
Lesson VI – Truth, Creation & Redemption in the Psalms II (Psalms 103 (cont.), 104) – DIVINITY 1 Quiz